- About Us
- Levels of Care
- What We Treat
- Substance Abuse
- Mental Health
- Who We Help
What We Do
Learn more about Personality Disorder Treatment in Florida
Behavioral Healthcare Treatment
Personality Disorder Treatment in Florida
Personality disorders often co-occur with substance use disorders. Individuals with personality disorders are more prone to develop an addiction to drugs or alcohol for various reasons and often require specialized dual diagnosis treatment for both conditions simultaneously.
Centric Behavioral Health is a provider of personality disorder treatment in Florida as part of our addiction treatment programs. Our goal at our personality disorder rehab center in Florida is to help someone recover from addiction and control symptoms of other mental health disorders, promoting long-term recovery.
What Are Personality Disorders?
Our personalities are what make us unique from other people. We have distinct personalities influenced by factors like our environment, experiences, and inherited characteristics. Our personalities generally stay the same over time.
When someone has a personality disorder, it means their thoughts, behaviors, and feelings deviate from the cultural norms and expectations. Having a personality disorder can cause problems in functionality over time. The symptoms of a personality disorder usually become apparent by the time you’re a teenager, and if you don’t receive treatment, these disorders are considered long-term.
A personality disorder affects at least two of these areas:
- How you think about yourself and other people
- Your emotional responses
- The way you relate to others
- How you control your own behavior
We don’t specifically know what causes personality disorders, but it’s likely a combination of complicated factors, including:
- Childhood trauma
- Verbal abuse
- Being highly reactive
Centric Behavioral Health offers rehab, addiction programs, and personality disorder treatment in Florida. We also have facilities in other states nationwide, with expert-led programs tailored to individual needs.
We work with most major insurance carriers.
Centric Behavioral Health facilities work with most major health insurance carriers in order to provide effective, accessible treatment options for substance abuse and mental health.
Types of Personality Disorders
There are ten types of personality disorders currently defined with specific diagnostic criteria. These are:
- Antisocial personality disorder, with a pattern of disregarding the rights of others. Someone with antisocial personality disorder may not follow social norms, behave impulsively, and often deceptively.
- Avoidant personality disorder includes extreme shyness and being highly sensitive to criticism. Someone with an avoidant personality disorder might avoid beginning relationships with other people unless they’re sure they’ll be well-liked.
- Borderline personality disorder leads to instability in relationships, negative self-image, impulsivity, and intense emotions. This personality disorder leads someone to extremes to avoid abandonment and may include intense, inappropriate anger and persistent feelings of emptiness.
- Dependent personality disorder includes the need to be taken care of, clinginess, and submissive behavior.
- Histrionic personality disorder includes excessive emotional displays and the desire always to be the center of attention.
- Narcissistic personality disorder includes the need for admiration and not having empathy for other people. Someone with this personality disorder might feel a sense of entitlement and self-importance or try to take advantage of others because of an inability to understand their feelings.
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder isn’t the same as obsessive-compulsive disorder. The personality disorder focuses on a need for perfection, control, and a sense of order.
- Paranoid personality disorder includes suspicion of others and seeing them as wanting to cause harm.
- Schizoid personality disorder symptoms are very little emotional expression and detachment from relationships.
- Schizotypal personality disorder causes someone to feel uncomfortable in relationships and distorted thinking and behaviors.
Personality disorders are sometimes divided into clusters.
- Cluster A personality disorders include odd or eccentric thinking or behavior. Cluster A disorders include paranoid, schizoid, and schizotypal personality disorders.
- The defining characteristics of cluster B personality disorders include unpredictable behavior or thinking and being overly emotional. These include antisocial, borderline, histrionic, and narcissistic personality disorders.
- Cluster C personality disorders include anxiety and fearful thinking and behaviors. These include avoidant, dependent, and obsessive-compulsive personality disorders.
It can be challenging to diagnose personality disorders. A mental health professional with experience in this area will have to evaluate someone’s long-term patterns of behavior and their functioning and symptoms.
It’s also possible to have more than one personality disorder.
Centric Behavioral Health’s professional expert providers can diagnose and then provide personality disorder treatment in Florida, along with rehab programs for addiction.
Personality Disorders and Substance Use
Having a personality disorder puts someone at a greater risk of also having a substance use disorder. The general population’s prevalence of personality disorders ranges from 10-14.8 percent. In people treated for addiction, the personality disorder prevalence is anywhere from 34.8 percent to 73 percent.
When someone has a personality disorder, they’re more likely to have a substance use disorder which may be more severe.
There are reasons that personality disorders and substance abuse co-occur at high rates. One is that someone with a personality disorder might use drugs or alcohol to self-medicate. They feel isolated or have difficulty dealing with their symptoms and the effects on their lives, so substances become a coping mechanism.
Also, it appears that both types of disorders affect the same brain areas.
Centric Behavioral Health is a leading Florida personality disorder treatment provider as part of our individualized rehab and addiction treatment programs.
Begin Your Journey
Your journey to wellness begins at one of Centric Behavioral Health’s top-rated programs around the country. Our caring admissions team is standing by ready to help you right now.
Treating a Personality Disorder and Addiction
Addiction treatment can occur on an inpatient or outpatient basis. Most people begin with inpatient treatment first, where they live onsite for a period of time. This is where they’re highly focused on their recovery, and most of their time is spent in therapy, individually and on a group basis. Inpatient treatment offers the unique opportunity to stabilize away from triggers or outside influences.
Along with different forms of talk therapy, medication-assisted treatment may be used for addictions to opioids or alcohol. MAT includes using FDA-approved medicines to reduce withdrawal symptoms and drug and alcohol cravings.
Psychiatric medicines such as antidepressants may also be part of a treatment plan for personality disorders.
Once someone is ready, they can move into a less intensive level of treatment, such as an intensive or more flexible outpatient program.
Let Us Help You Learn to Thrive
Centric Behavioral Health is dedicated to helping others. Our mission is to connect those who contact us with our trusted treatment programs around the country. Contact us today to learn more about our expert programs and how we can help you find long-term healing today.
Centric Behavioral Health Offers Comprehensive Personality Disorder Treatment
If a person has a personality disorder and a simultaneous substance use disorder and both aren’t treated according to evidence, they’re likely to relapse after treatment.
Specific types of psychotherapy or talk therapy used for treating personality disorders can also work well for addiction, including dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) and cognitive behavioral therapy.
Whether you’re looking for personality disorder treatment in Florida for yourself or a loved one, it’s available at Centric Behavioral Health. If you are looking for mental health or addiction treatment services in Florida or near you, Centric Behavioral Health Can help. If you’d like to learn more about our inpatient drug rehab centers, contact us today.